NSNP Licensed Veterinary Technician Educator
- National Spay/Neuter Project
- Animal Health Services
- New York, NY
The Spay/Neuter Project Licensed Veterinary Technician is a trained and licensed professional with a strong work ethic and commitment to the spay/neuter mission. This position is part of a team of veterinary professionals who travel extensively around NYC and nationwide to train small animal welfare groups to perform high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter in a variety of settings. This person is comfortable working in Mobile, In-Clinic and MASH style spay/neuter clinics.
The Licensed Veterinary Technician Educator has the technical skills, career experience and professionalism to be part of a leadership team. This LVT has extensive experience with peri-operative support and is able to travel up to 50% of the time.
Assist veterinary surgeon, and supervise veterinary assistant and visiting medical staff and in the following:
- Successfully achieve daily goals of Spay/Neuter Clinics, following all medical and field standard operating procedures as determined by SNO management including (but not limited to): administering injections, animal vaccinations, medications, treatments; intubating animals, placing intravenous catheters, performing venipuncture, running diagnostic tests, administering fluids; monitoring vital signs of sedated and anesthetized patients; anesthetic protocols, equipment maintenance and supportive care measures as directed by SNO Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provide and teach excellent patient care in all peri-operative phases.
- Train new members of the MSNC staff following training checklists based on the MSNC SOP Manual.
- Evaluate skills and clinic flow of groups admitted into the NSNP for training.
- In collaboration with other NSNP Team members, devise a curriculum for training each group in the NSNP based on the individual group’s status and needs.
- Execute the training of the groups admitted into the NSNP both in NYC and at the group’s home location.
- Prepare and present PowerPoint presentations to groups in the NSNP as part of the training they receive in NYC. Subjects of these presentations may include, but are not limited to Organizing Your Mobile/MASH Clinic and Managing Partner Relations.
- Assist in preparing a post-training report for each group that participates in the NSNP to summarize the training and make recommendations for their program.
- Assist in developing protocols for various types of MASH Clinics.
- Deploy in support of FIR when spay/neuter services are needed.
- Remain composed while working in fast-paced environment.
- Know basic veterinary medical concepts, including vaccine protocols.
- Stay current in knowledge of emergency drugs and protocols.
- Maintain medical supplies inventory, including emergency drugs.
- Maintain all necessary controlled substance drug logs and patient records.
- Delegate appropriate tasks to Senior Veterinary Assistants.
- Communicate in effective and professional manner with public and all ASPCA staff.
- Actively promote spay/neuter and educate clients and local communities on responsible animal ownership.
- Represent ASPCA in professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Adhere to all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) protocols.
- Follow all written and verbally communicated SNO Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions.
- Utilize computer programs as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications:
- Must have graduated from accredited school of veterinary science technology.
- Must have current New York State Veterinary Technician License.
- Must be able to drive our 37’ Clinics or willing to learn. (Training provided by ASPCA.)
- Must have 3-plus years working as Licensed Veterinary Technician.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Must speak fluent English. Bilingual (fluent in English and Spanish) preferred.
- Must possess excellent animal handling skills and excellent customer service skills.
- Must possess basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and ImproMed.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40-plus pounds repeatedly throughout day with assistance.
- Must possess the ability to work standing for 10-plus hours.
- Must possess the ability to work independently and as part of team.
- This is a full-time position with a flexible and varied schedule. Some weekends are required. The training period will be 4 – 6 months in New York City, after which the position will include up to 50% travel, most often for periods of one week at a time.
We encourage a candidate who demonstrates outstanding inter-personal communication and the ability to work in a team environment or independently, with a high degree of integrity and accountability. This position welcomes a candidate with a sense of humor that can balance flexibility and enthusiasm and thrives on detail!!
Our generous benefit package includes the following for full-time employees and (if qualified, we offer domestic partner coverage!) Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Transit checks, Tuition Assistance Program, Training Seminars, EAP, 50% hospital discount, Vacation, Sick, Personal & Company Holiday time off.