Fight Cruelty

Report Animal Cruelty

If you think someone you know is abusing animals, you can help. The best thing you can do is report cruelty.

More About Reporting Cruelty

Learn how to tell if an animal may be a victim of cruelty, and more.

Signs of Animal Abuse »

State-by-State Cruelty Laws »

Animal Abuse and Domestic Violence »

Where to Report Cruelty


If you live in New York City and need to report animal cruelty, please contact 311. To report crimes in progress in any borough, please call 911.

In New Jersey

If you believe you have witnessed animal cruelty in the state of New Jersey and would like to report it, please call the NJSPCA at (800) 582-5979 or fill out NJSPCA's online form.

In Other Areas

Find out who is responsible for investigating and enforcing the anti-cruelty codes in your town, county and/or state. These people typically work for your local humane organization, animal control agency, taxpayer-funded animal shelter or police precinct.

If you run into trouble finding the correct agency to contact, you should call or visit your local police department and ask for their help in enforcing the law. If your local police department is unable to assist, ask your local shelter or animal control agency for advice. To find contact information for your local shelter, visit the ASPCA's searchable database of nearly 5,000 organizations.

How to Report Cruelty

More on Cruelty