Sadly, everyone who cares for a pet will one day face the illness, old age or passing of their beloved animal friend. It is as natural and necessary to grieve for the loss of a pet as it is for any loved one who dies. And it is important to have compassion and support in one's time of grief. The ASPCA is here to help—below you will find several resources to assist you and your loved ones during this difficult time.
ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline
Pet parents can receive help from the ASPCA Pet Loss Support program with the following issues:
- Assistance with the decision to euthanize.
- Comfort and support at the time of euthanasia.
- Help with grieving the loss.
- Advice on dealing with children, the elderly or disabled individuals who are facing a death of a companion animal.
- Helping the surviving animals in the household to cope.
- Assistance in establishing a relationship with a new pet.
For support dealing with the loss of a pet, including information on meeting the emotional needs of children at the time of a pet's death, please call our Pet Loss Hotline at (877) GRIEF-10.